Sunday, April 20, 2008

Taupo Bungy

Let me just preface this entry by saying that as a child I couldn't even jump off the high dive at swimming lessons. Today, I jumped off a 47 meter high platform above the Waikato River. I won't lie, I had to be pushed a little bit and I screamed the whole time but it was definitely worth it.

This was the boat that picked you up at the bottom. Funny story...this other girl from the hostel, Zoe from England, and I went to do this together. As we're working up the courage we're watching these guys in the boat. They lost one of their long poles in the shallow water near the shore and one of them takes off his shirt and dives in to retrieve it. He does so, but as his mate is pulling him back in the boat, the pole he just retrieved promptly slides back into the water. We're watching the whole thing, the guys don't have a clue. We're anxiously awaiting the moment they discover it missing. So they are heading back to the dock area and about halfway there we see them look around for the pole and realizing what happened, they go back to fetch it again. After that, we decided we had to make the jump, if for no other reason than to tell these guys that we saw it all. It was the best free entertainment I'd had in a while.

The view from up river just a bit. Breathtaking, huh? The river is sooo clear.

No comments: