Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cape Reinga

On Friday, I took a coach ride to the northernmost part of New Zealand, Cape Reinga. Had such a great time, you know how sometimes just the people that you are with make all the difference? Thats how it was. There was a mother and daughter from The Netherlands, a quartet of Germans, an English pair, a Korean girl, a family from Fiji and couple of Koreans. We sang songs and laughed with our driver, Murray, the whole way.

The Lighthouse and view from the top, where the Tasman and Pacific meet.




Took a visit to the Ancient Kauri Forest. These trees are now protected but in places have been preserved in the swamp and they are dug up and made into very expensive and beautiful carvings and furniture.



Well I think I can safely add boogy boarding down the sand dunes as a sport that is pretty hilarious to watch me fail at. For those of you who have never had the pleasure, golf, disc golf and skiing are equally as entertaining. Climbed up the steep hill, mounted the board and away I went...until about half way down when somehow I lost control, let go of the board and tumbled head over heels to the bottom. Twice I did that. I couldn't work up enough courage to try again. I think I had sand in every bodily orifice and I'm sure I swallowed a mouthful.


Now started our coach trip down Ninety Mile Beach (which is really only 64 miles, by the way.) How bizarre!! Riding in a big bus in the sand and surf.

No comments: